Stargate Leg Painting

When I first got my Stargate, the back legs were 32" and the front were 28". The proper way to level a System3 machine is to have all legs the same size and unscrew the back leg levellers 7 threads. Obviously I had a little too much slope.

Being very "thrifty", I managed to dig up a set of legs that matched but were fairly rusty.

I had painted another set of legs (for my Williams Suspense) with some rustoleum hammertone black and really liked the end result, so I went ahead and painted this set the same way. Stargate is such a pretty machine that plain black legs seemed kind of dull - so I came up with something else.

First I dug around on the internet and found a heiroglyphics font. Then I figured out what keys produced the simple symbols, and found about 10 that weren't very intricate. I sized the font so that the letters would be about 1 inch wide and arranged them into a vertical column. Then I printed them out on 8.5"x11" transparencies.

From here it was easy, just set them on some cardboard and used a razor blade to carve them out. Then I did a test run with some gold spray paint on top of a cardboard box. I practiced with various amounts of paint, how flush the stencil was to the surface, and how far away the spray can was from the stencil.

I decided I liked what I saw, and painted the legs. I taped some paper at the top of the stencil to protect from overspray, and laid the stencil on top of the leg. I found that one quick but thorough shot of paint from about 1 foot away moving from one end of the stencil to the other gave the best results. I didn't bother holding down the stencil flat because I was going for a slightly "faded" look. I also wanted the artwork to be a little understated, so I only did the front side of the front legs, and the outfacing sides of the back legs.

Here's the end result, excuse the mess under the machine!

Return to Main Page