EXHIBIT SUPPLY DALE SIX GUN


This page is from the Arcade1 book by
Richard Bueschel and Steve Gronowski


The game is not here yet, I will be posting more info as the process of it's restoration moves along.





 








 
Ok, here it is a bit of a challenge.
The interior art needs to be re-created. The ferrous wheel target assy seems frozen, and is rusted.
It is missing both the back access door and the front door. It is also missing the 10 cent coin mechanism on the coin door, replaced by a button..
The ticket mechanism is also frozen, plus it lacks tickets.
   The big one, the front art glass is cracked in half.
All of the above were known issues as purchased. There are some additional issues caused by the shippers .
The game was bounced around enough that the power transformer broke free of the mounting board, in doing so struck the mirror and smashed it.
It also struck the relay strip assy, and broke a few relays. Finally the hit step unit came free of the board as well (the large unit seen on the upper right)
The transformer itself was damaged  in the process, I believe repairable.
There are also some cabinet issues, unknown if they were there before shipping or not.


Ok, let the fun begin.....

First, step was to remove the art glass and stabilize it. It was placed on a piece of plywood. I have a plan for this and will get into that later.
Next, I removed the electronics board which contains all the components of the game with the exception of  2 assemblies in the bottom cabinet and
the assemblies located  under the front gun area, which includes the ticket mechanism.

 I decided to make cabinet repairs first to stabilize the cabinet.



You'll notice that the front top trim has been removed. This is necessary to remove the lighting/electronics board behind the front art glass.
Normally that top trim is only removed to slide the art glass up, to remove it or to replace lamps behind it.

I have identified the correct original coin mechanism used in this game and located one  (thanks Roger, Crow River Tading)

I have been in contact with a few other owners of this game  and with their help have started the process to recreate and restore missing and damaged artwork


With the help of  those other owners mentioned above I have started to restore the damaged and missing artwork.
I have completed the bottom scene along with  the horses and riders as i write this.

I have started work to restore the rider ferris wheel assy. which includes the riders and horses.
I have chosen to make a complete new set of horses and riders but will retain the originals (in poor shape)


I am currently mounting the horses and riders on "chip board" , I also sprayed them with clear coat matte to protect them.

I re-designed they way they were put together.
Dale/Exhibit used a steel bar and riveted the art to it for horses , then they just shoved the mounting arm under the bar
This causes the horses to have a bow in the center. I also did not use rivets which can be seen from the front, instead made custom brackets and glued them to the chipboard. There are rivets (unseen) on the new revised mounting brackets

New art could just glued  over the originals if  the mountings were in good shape. Mine art not.
Cutting the chip board out is time consuming to match the shapes. (I used thicker material than used originally-twice as thick)
Probably should have done more research on chip board densities and available thickness


I have the original cardboard for the bottom art but will need to address the top side, since that art sagged in the middle.
It's interesting that they added a piece to the center of the top art to reduce the view to the rider ferris wheel.
Not sure if this was an original over sight or it was intentional?

I have my motor fully operational and restored, as I write this. Commutator cleaned , new brushes installed, and the reduction gearbox cleaned and re-lubricated.

Here is the change I made to the new set of  riders/horses.
I used aluminum, easier to work and doesn't rust like the originals did on mine.







Undrilled yet


Here a restored rider and horse on it's control arm

One of the advantages of  doing the moutning this way is I can adjust the horse to rider for the best look than glue and clamp in place.


This is what I used to punch the rider mounting holes in the chip board (normally for leather)
They were then glued to a piece of aluminum and holes drilled through the chip board holes to allow mounting by screws
Chip board doesn't drill well, that is why I used the punch for a clean hole in it.

Here is one of my original horses








More on this later.