This is a 1922 Seeburg Model "L" or Lilliputian Nickelodeon. It was
converted at some point to
accept dimes only.
This piano was obtained from Dana Johnson on the west
coast, having been purchased at the estate sale of Bud Hurlbut,
Bud the creator of a number of amusement attractions.
So far it's a mystery exactly where this piano spent it's performing
The etched glass suggests, given Bud's association with Knott's Berry
farm, that it was located there, as they had a steamboat, but so far no
evidence supports it.
The Mandolin attachment is marked as being rebuilt in March 1980
This indicates the piano was on stage at least until sometime after
If anyone out there reading this has any information about this piano
please contact me.
This photo shows this Seeburg Nickelodeon (circled in yellow) at
the Bud Hurlbut estate auction .
Restoration of the piano has begun, photos will follow, it has been a
long road and is not yet completed as I write this.
Given the condition it received a lot of use.
Email me here:
Click on above for information on the Seeburg "L" Nickelodeon
The original art glass windows that were missing as seen above in
the first photo,
were found by Dana Johnson and supplied with the piano when purchased.
Though some pieces of glass were cracked, it was all there including
the casting of the man in the boat on the right side.
I had to decide to leave them alone as found or attempt to
restore them myself or find someone else who could.
The glass was sent to Drehobl Bros in Chicago
them to restore. Drehobl Bros are the original manufacturers of the
glass used in Seeburg pianos.
They are still in business and were able to replace the damaged glass
pieces and restore the windows.
Here a few of the easier seen cracks are shown in the windows as
received, when back lighted more cracks are view able.
No two sets of these windows are exactly alike because of differences
in the glass itself, so the restored windows are slightly different.
Later the restored windows will be shown in the restored cabinet.
Here some cabinet closeups
Coin entry chute and photo showing burning on door edge
Here a pattern to cut replacement veneer
Here the cabinet has been stripped ,lightly sanded and all repairs
made, including veneer,
it's ready for finish
Here the cabinet has been restored, stained/art glass repaired
new better wheels installed
The first major part of the piano, the action has been rejuvinated,
completely rebuilt, including a repair to one casting on it, by Richard
It has been re-installed in the cabinet and aligned with the strings,
The mandolin rail has been re-done by me, new cloth, tabs, and
installed. I used the method John Tuttle uses, see his video
This shows the registration of the hammers hitting the strings
(chalk) I used a punch to help make the space consistant when
I located a Seeburg / Emerson pancake motor which I retored to replace
the incorrect motor the piano was received with..
Ready to go.