This page shows a glimpse of the steps to restore my Seeburg 201

Along with a little history along the way

A little background story on this jukebox. I purchased this jukebox more years ago then I care to remember.  One  weekend,  we rode out onto Long Island's east end.  I stopped at a dealer that sold arcade games, pool tables, and jukeboxes. When I saw he a had a few older jukeboxes in his showroom, I asked if he had any others.
Since my interest is primarily in Seeburg's I asked about them in any condition. He said , yes , I do have an unrestored one you might be interested in.
He then took me across the street to an unheated  large shed like building that may at one time been a garage. There, among a lot of misc. things was this Jukebox.
How long it had sat in this unheated building I had no idea, but it was obvious it was many years.
I made the deal and borrowed a truck to move it. This was the second jukebox project I purchased. At the time I had a small home, with a full basement that I hoped would become a game room and be the place for this.
When I got it home it sat covered on my car port, I had no garage.
I evaluated the condition of it carefully. I also removed the electronics for further evaluation and restoration. Being a technician, I looked forward to the challenge of restoring them. However, when I connected the units through a variac and slowly increased the voltage I heard crackling from the transformers which were obviously rusted and had been wet. Testing the windings of all the transformers I found 3 defective.
I decided to try and hunt down better specimens to restore. Eventually I found a  restorer had both units restored in excellent shape, so we made a deal.
This saved me a lot of work and gave me known good working units. With the new electronics I was able to test the mechanism's condition.
Life got in the way to go further, and there it sat on the carport for more than a year, waiting for the time and money I could put into it to take it further.
After about a year or so we decided to move. The jukebox went into storage until the new house was finished at which time it moved to it's new home in our new garage. Along with a DS160 project purchased just before the move. Eventually joined by a third project a HF100R.
The person I bought the first jukebox from (hf100G) told me this was a sickness.....I guess he was right. Luckily my wife enjoys them as well.
The next jukebox restore after some arcade games was the Hf100R shown elsewhere on this web page. Then came the DS160. However the 201 still wasn't done.
The cost was a bit prohibitive and so it waited.
More time pasted and another move was planned this time out of state to Florida.
The 201 along with most other games and jukeboxes made the move as well.
Now, some 9 years after purchasing the jukebox, I decided it had to be finished. So I started the cabinet and mechanism restoration....it was going to get done!
The chrome plating was over $1500 alone. The grill game out terrible. Thankfully, in all this time that had gone by, someone had made a reproduction!
So, around another $300 and I had all the "jewelry" to make it shine. Then came replacement glass, a mechanism cover, a Pickering cartridge, speakers reconed, etc etc.
Finally it was done! and it's beautiful and sounds great as well. It is the most costly restoration to date.

Here it is:



 




If you don't want to go through all this contact Zuddie Smith!   He is a blue ribbon winner many times over.
In my opinion the best restorer out there.




backtogether

I will update this page shortly to show more of the process but for now here is the finished jukebox.

 originalcondition restored201
Original condition (good side)                                                                        Restored Jukebox

Here is a photo of a 201 in a episode of Perry Mason (The case of the Lurid letter)






Return